Partnering with suppliers to achieve our net zero targets together
The current climate situation
Acting on climate change has never been more important. In 2015, 196 parties adopted The Paris Agreement, aligning on trying to limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels. In 2018, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) published a special report on the impact of global warming of 1.5°C, showing the importance of climate action and the need to keep warming to a maximum of 1.5°C. It has since then been re-confirmed in the release of the sixth assessment report and synthesis report of the sixth assessment report,The Sixth Assessment Report of the IPCC | UNFCCC. To achieve this goal, global greenhouse gas emissions need to halve every decade, reaching Net Zero by 2050.
BT Group’s carbon reduction targets
BT Group has been leading on climate action for over thirty years and we were one of the first companies in the world to get a science based target aligned to a 1.5°C pathway validated by the Science Based Targets initiative. When we look at BT’s end-to-end carbon footprint, only 6% cent come from our operations, 23% come from customers using our products and services and 70% is associated with our supply chain.
BT’s climate targets are to be net zero for our operations by end of March 2031 and for our supply chain and customer emissions (all Scope 3) by the end of March 2041.
Collaborating with our suppliers
Working together with our suppliers to reduce their carbon footprint is at the heart of our plans to be net zero. BT are engaging with our high emitting and strategic suppliers to set their own 1.5°C aligned science-based targets, halve emissions by 2030, making their commitment public and asking them to report on their progress. The suppliers in scope of this programme will receive a supplier climate letter from BT Group setting out our expectations..
Our ask of our suppliers:
- We expect suppliers to set a 1.5°C aligned science based target
- Make their targets public by publishing it on your company webpage, annual report, or similar
- Report progress towards meeting the target on an annual basis.
Guidelines on how to set a target
Below are some links to where you can find further support & guidance on target setting:
- 1.5°C Business Playbook – A step by step guide for companies on how to align with the 1.5°C ambition.
- GHG Protocol– Provides standards for companies on how to map out and report on emissions.
- Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) Used to publicly announce 1.5°C aligned targets and has useful information for how to calculate targets. Often used by larger companies. Includes sector specific guidance.
- SME Climate Hub– For SMEs to publicly announce targets and has information and guides valuable for companies of all sizes.
- 1.5 °C Supplier Engagement Guide – Provides practical guidance when working with suppliers to set and implement a 1.5°C aligned target.
- CDP – A not-for-profit charity that runs the global disclosure system for investors, companies, cities, states and regions. Also has information for how to report and measure. Available in several languages.
This programme is managed by the Sustainable Sourcing team within BT Sourced. BT Sourced prides itself on using innovative digital tools and this programme will be facilitated using our digital partner Kodiak hub.
Expanding climate action
Finally, we ask that you help spread the message on climate action and engage and collaborate with your suppliers. A best practice guide on supplier engagement can be found here Supplier Engagement Guide | Exponential Roadmap Initiative
For any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org